About the study
Please read the Participant Information below before signing up to the Northern Ireland Complex Disease Bioresource.
To sign up, you will have to complete a consent form first.
What you should know
About the BioResource
Ulster University, supported by the Health and Social Care (HSC), have established a province wide BioResource (Northern Ireland Complex Disease BioResource [NICDB]) for health research, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses – including heart diseases, stroke, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety and forms of dementia.
The NICDB aims to provide a resource to support physical and psychological health research. We plan to:
- Collect a repository of psychological data (questionnaire data) and biological samples (e.g. saliva, blood or urine) to help scientists discover why some people develop particular diseases and others do not.
- Have the opportunity to link members’ psychological and biological data with their medical records.
- Create an online resource of members interested in taking part in research.
- Provide members with information about research projects that they can get involved in.
- Regularly update members on the progress of the research and the contribution that they have made.
We are inviting you to become a member of the NICDB.
This will involve completing a simple questionnaire about yourself and giving researchers permission to contact you about donating information and/or samples (e.g. saliva, blood or urine) to the BioResource for research purposes, or to provide you with opportunities to take part in a research study.
You are always completely free to accept or decline the invitation to provide this information or samples.
What do I have to do?
There is no obligation to sign up and once you have provided consent you can unsubscribe at any time by using the contact details below.
There are only two steps to signing up to the NICDB.
Step 1: Giving consent to become a member
- Please go through the consent sheet thoroughly and decide which aspects you would like to consent to.
- If you have any queries at all, contact details are provided at the bottom of this sheet.
Step 2: Questionnaire data
We will ask you to complete some questions which will ask about yourself; your contact details, demographics (e.g. age, gender, and employment situation) and your health. This questionnaire should only take you 5 minutes to complete.
The data that you provide will be kept strictly confidential and we will not provide your details to anyone outside the NICDB.
We will keep all of your data private. All data use is strictly within the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR 2018).
Should I take part?
Benefits of taking part
There may be no immediate benefit to you but your samples could be used to help scientists understand why some people develop particular diseases and others do not, and to help find the best way to diagnose and treat these disorders.
If you have any queries or concerns about any aspect of this project, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org